Moving is never easy, but with the right planning you can lessen the stress considerably and you might even get to enjoy the process. If you’ve already made your Okoboji realty purchase and you’re relocating to the area soon, here are some tips on how to prepare for your move to Okoboji:
- Schedule it. A stress-free move is a move with a timeline. Begin by getting your calendar out and starting a task list. Space tasks out accordingly and at the pace that you’re comfortable with so you won’t feel too overwhelmed.
- Decide as early as possible whether you’re hiring movers or DIY-ing. This will give you time to get estimates and interview moving companies and to book the best possible time. If you’re moving yourself, then you’ll need to make arrangements for a moving van or truck and sometimes you’ll need to reserve one way in advance as well.
- Get your new home’s floor plan. Knowing whether or not your things will fit in your new place is crucial when you’re packing. You don’t want to haul stuff across the country that you’ll end up not being able to use anyway.
- This is the best time to get rid of clutter. When you’re doing your household inventory, take the opportunity to de-clutter. Hold a moving sale, sell them online, give them away – the point is to not burden yourself with excess stuff.
- Don’t forget to budget. Moving expenses can creep up on you so it’s best to start with a budget. Factor in not just the moving company’s expenses – or your truck rental fee, insurance and gas if you’re DIY-ing – but also your own transportation costs, meals, lodging, storage fees (if you’re storing items), utility deposits, and so on.
- Gather important documents and keep them with you. These are the items that you definitely don’t want to trust to the care of movers, no matter how professional they are.
- Get the paperwork done. Arrange a shut-off date for your utilities, complete change of address forms, and so on. Also, don’t forget to cancel whatever home delivery services you have as well as well as newspaper subscriptions and gym memberships.
- Pack to unpack. Be kind to your future self and pack with easy unpacking in mind. Pack by room and label your boxes accordingly. It’s also useful to have all your essential items in just one box – toothbrushes, towels, toilet paper, soap, sheets, a change of clothes, basic cleaning supplies, pet food, etc. – and to bring it with you. This way you can get started with settling into your new home before the movers arrive and you can still be comfortable if they happen to be delayed.
Want more moving tips? For more insights on how to prepare for your move to Okoboji, get in touch with us at the Jensen Team anytime. We have specialized in West Lake Okoboji homes for sale for years and look forward to helping you make a smooth transition to the Iowa Great Lakes area.